When is National Birth Defects Prevention Month?
This month we celebrate National Birth Defects Prevention Month. The National Birth Defects Prevention Network (NBDPN) has set the 2015 theme as “Making Healthy Choices to Prevent Birth Defects—Make a PACT for Prevention.” The anagram within the theme, “PACT,” stands for the following:
- (P)lan ahead
- (A)void harmful substances
- (C)hoose a healthy lifestyle
- (T)alk to your doctor
All of these are great preventative measures; however, sometimes factors outside of your control can lead to birth defects. For instance, a pharmaceutical professional could prescribe a drug for you that causes a birth defect, or a medical professional could make an unfortunate error in the delivery room.
What Are Some Facts About Birth Defects?
The NBDPN has collated some facts about birth defects to build national awareness for these conditions. We think that everyone should know about the following facts:
- Nationally, a baby is born with a birth defect every 4 1/2 minutes.
- Each year, about 120,000 babies are born with birth defects.
- Birth defects occur in 1 in every 33 births.
- The annual medical costs for birth defects surpass $2.6 billion.
- Birth defects are the leading cause of infant mortality, encompassing approximately 20 percent of all infant deaths.
Looking for a Birth Defect Lawyer in Miami?
Birth defects are often the cause of pharmaceutical or hospital negligence. If this was the case with your child’s birth injury, then you deserve compensation to help you raise your child. Our Florida birth defect attorneys at Farrell, Patel, Jomarron & Lopez can offer you compassionate legal counsel and tough representation in the courtroom.
Farrell, Patel, Jomarron & Lopez – Miami Birth Injury Lawyers